Visiting Artist Series III: Mabel Kwan, piano
Friday, April 3 @ Cafe Istanbul, 8pm
For our next event, we are absolutely stoked to bring in Chicago-based pianist Mabel Kwan, for her New Orleans debut concert. A champion of living composers, Ms. Kwan has performed throughout the world, both as a soloist and a member of Ensemble Dal Niente, as part of the International Summer Courses for New Music at Darmstadt, UNRULY Music Festival, MusicArte Panama, SALT Festival, MATA Interval Series, PianoForte Chicago’s Experimental Piano Series, Sonic Fusion Festival and others. Her intense sensitivity showcases the nuances inherent in each composition she performs. She brings a unique thoughtfulness to the piano that makes her visit to New Orleans an exciting, significant offering to the area’s artistic community.
This concert, presented in conjunction with FOCI Arts, will showcase several technically challenging works of the 21st century in contrast with the thorny contrapuntal music of the Baroque period. Ms. Kwan will perform works by three local composers – Ray Evanoff, Philip Schuessler and Kari Besharse, a work by Boston-based composer Evan Johnson, a piece by Berlin-based English composer Rebecca Saunders and selections by Frescobaldi, Bach and Froberger.
- Fast Flies Meanwhile The Irreparable Hour, As Point To Point Our Charmed Round We Trace by Philip Schuessler (world premiere)
- Toccata IX in F Major by Frescobaldi
- The Inhibitors by Kari Besharse (world premiere)
- A Series of Postures (Piano) by Ray Evanoff
- three reversed movements, to bring destroyed objects back to life by Evan Johnson
- Prelude, Fugue and Allegro in E-flat major, BWV 998 by J. S. Bach
- Lamentation on the Death of Ferdinand III by Froberger
- Shadow by Rebecca Saunders
In addition to performing on the Versipel New Music Visiting Artist Series, Mabel Kwan will also be giving a Masterclass and performing a show at Southeastern Louisiana University at Pottle Auditorium on April 1st.
Tickets: A suggested donation of $20 adults/$10 students will be collected at the door.
2372 ST CLAUDE AVE, NEW ORLEANS